Mountain Cloud Zen Center, located on 20 pristine acres just outside of Santa Fe, New Mexico, is seeking a live-in caretaker who has a strong interest in living and working in a space dedicated to zen meditation practice, and supporting the lively community that consider Mountain Cloud a focal point in their lives.
Candidates should have a dedicated Zen or meditation practice, understand the value of daily work practice (samu) as a means of deepening meditation training, and enjoy the flow of deep quiet alternating with healthy interactions with community.
This is a non-paid position that offers numerous unique benefits…
- Live and work on a beautiful and peaceful Santa Fe property
- Housing in our new cottage in a cozy private room
- Ample opportunity for meditation practice including access to Zen teacher Henry Shukman
- Flexible work schedule
- Weekly food stipend
- Attend MCZC retreats at no cost
- Wifi access and use of communal areas and office
- 4-8 days off per month, coordinated with the site manager
Personal Qualities Needed
Candidates should have a strong desire to deepen personal practice through daily living, sitting meditation and community and be willing to sit twice daily with our community, and attend a weekly dharma talk by our teacher. Candidates should be flexible and mature, have excellent communication skills, and an ability to interface with visitors, volunteers, the site manager and other MCZC personnel. We would like someone with a basic knack for fixing every-day household problems (basic “handy” skills), who is in good physical health able to adapt to changing circumstances.
Daily Tasks and Activities
- Inside cleaning: keep the main facility and cottage clean and tidy includes keeping kitchen immaculately clean, sweeping dining room, hallways, and cottage, cleaning bathrooms and showers. Includes *deep* cleaning.
- Event set up/take down as needed
- Daily walk-throughs after events/sits to make sure all is in order
- Setting out the trash/recycling each week for pickup
- Security: open and close road chain, locking buildings, turning off/on heat and lights, walking the grounds to be sure all is secure
- Prepare rooms for renters and visitors and do laundry (bed linens and towels) after renters depart
- watering the vegetable garden during the growing season.
We would like candidates to make a minimum one-year commitment. This is more than a simple care taker position, it is an opportunity to immerse yourself into Zen practice under the guidance of a Sanbo Zen teacher while serving a vibrant and growing community.
If you are interested, please email your resume and a cover letter that describes at a bit about yourself and why you are interested in this type of opportunity to Christy or to firstname.lastname@example.org.