This episode of the Wisdom Podcast, recorded live as a Wisdom Dharma Chat, features poet, writer, and Sanbo Zen teacher Henry Shukman. Henry is Guiding Teacher at Mountain Cloud Zen Center in Santa Fe, studying primarily with Joan Rieck Roshi, John Gaynor, Ruben Habito Roshi, and continuing his training under Yamada Ryo’un Roshi. He also trained in mindfulness practice with Shinzen Young, and has published nine books to date, including fiction, poetry, and nonfiction.
Henry and host Daniel Aitken discuss:
- his path to Zen, starting on a beach in Argentina;
- connecting words with practice in koans and early Chinese poetry;
- Dōgen’s work and the collection Moon In A Dewdrop;
- building a foundation for Zen with mindfulness and love;
- connecting with nature and the vanishing self;
- the books of Yamada Koun;
- and much more!
Featured image by Mark Paul Petrick.