Ancient wisdom for a stressed-out world
Rio Grande Mindfulness Institute (RGMI) trains teens, teachers and leaders in educational organizations of all kinds – colleges, independent schools, and public and charter schools.
RGMI is an initiative of the Mountain Cloud Zen Center (MCZC), founded in 1985 by Philip Kapleau, one of the editors of the classic Three Pillars of Zen.
Listen in to hear about RGMI’s underlying philosophy.
Why the ancient wisdom of mindfulness?
Scientific studies show that mindfulness results in:
- Increased kindness and compassion to others, including greater empathy, tolerance, forgiveness and patience, and less anger and hostility
- Reductions in stress, burnout and anxiety, including a reduction in days off work
- Improved ability to manage thoughts and behavior
- An increase in coping skills, motivation, planning and problem solving, and taking more time to relax
- Better mental health, including less distress, negative emotion, depression and anxiety
- Greater well-being, including life satisfaction, self-confidence, self-efficacy, self-compassion and sense of personal growth
- Better physical health, including lower blood pressure, declines in cortisol (a stress hormone) and fewer reported physical health problems